What is a computer repair technician?
A computer repair technician as the name implies can also be known as a computer technician or PC repair technician but can also be known as someone who repairs mac computers as well as mobile computing devices.
A computer repair technician is an IT professional who helps to find the cause of problems by troubleshooting and then repairing the problem this covers software and hardware.
Technicians are generally proficient with a variety of different operating systems, such as Windows, Linux and macOS. Also other device type operating systems like iOS & Android.
Computer repairs technicians need to have a certain level of analytical and problem-solving skills and know how to decide the best way to fix the problem and to communicate the problems to others.
They can help customers in a variety of ways by attending onsite, remotely or over the phone. They can also work out of IT departments and repair centers.
The main goal is help ensure that computers, devices, networks and systems function correctly and can also provide training to customers.
What does a computer repair technician do?
The responsibility of this role can differ a bit based on the technician but the general responsibilities includes:
- Building or setting up new computer systems
- Migrating data between computer systems or devices
- Installing software / computer programs
- Installing, updating or managing security programs and needs
- Instructing customers on the best way to keep themselves safe
- Troubleshooting software problems and get them working again
- Troubleshooting hardware problems and repair them
- Setting up and managing servers
- Assisting customers or staff with technical issues
- Answering questions and describing solutions to problems to customers
- Training customers in the use of computer programs or computer use in general
- Making trips to home or offices to repair computers
- Working remotely over the internet to solve problems and provide support
- Diagnosing, managing and repairing networks
- Setting up and managing peripherals
- Assisting with email related needs
Computer repair technicians use a variety of different tools to dissemble, assemble or reassemble computers and devices. Some devices will require special fittings and tools to open them because of the way they were built.
Computer repairs technicians will carry out certain tests and diagnostics according to the situation.
One of the most common tasks required of computer repair technicians after carrying out software updates and changes as well as screen repairs is data recovery. This involves recovering data from a corrupted or inaccessible hard drive.